Music and choir

 
Laurence

Director of music

Laurence's bio to be included

Contact Laurence here

Choir

There has been a long tradition of choral singing at St Mary’s for well over 100 years. Choral music is a vital and valued part of the life of our Church.  Our services involve singing at the Parish Mass each Sunday and for a service of choral evensong, usually on the first Sunday of the month. Occasionally we sing for weekday services such as Ash Wednesday, during Holy week and also for carol services at Advent and Christmas.
The choir, are a friendly, dedicated and talented group of voluntary singers drawn together by a love of singing sacred music in its liturgical context.
For further information contact the director of music.

P4144082.jpg
P4144012.jpg

Organ

Our Director of Music, Laurence brings a strong background of organ study and composition to St Mary’s; through his modern approach to liturgical music, St Mary’s continues to be filled with the sounds of praise throughout the year. 

A short history of the organ

In 1521 Stephen Colman left the residue of his goods towards the purchase of a ‘payre of organys’ and in 1552 they appear in the inventory of the church goods. When the church was taken down in 1774, arrangements were made for the organ’s safe custody. Samuel Spencer in about 1790 presented the church with a much larger instrument. Later this was replaced by another, erected by public subscription. This, which stood like its two predecessors in the western gallery, was removed with the gallery in 1881. A new organ was built by Brindley & Foster and placed in the northern transept of the new chancel. In 1952 this organ was enlarged and divided to include pipework in the south gallery by Spurden  Rutt & Co with electric action and a detached console under the south gallery.

The present three manual digital ‘Allen’ organ, with speakers in both galleries, has 44 stops, a recording sequencer, crescendo pedal, transposer, bass and melody couplers and four midi stops which incorporate a library of 33 voices. It was purchased in 1996 as part of the re-ordering of the building with a bequest from Ruth Bennett, a loyal member of the congregation.

Bell ringing

The eight bells of St Mary’s are rung regularly, bringing joy to the community and marking our worship; the last completed a full peal on 10 December 2016. For more information about the bells, please click here

To enquire please click here to contact us

bells.jpeg
 

346 Lewisham High St. SE13 6LE

  • Facebook
  • Twitter

©2020 by St.Mary the Virgin Lewisham - Charity number: 1182343